a_ Be active, not passive!
- identify major city building improvement projects each decade
- commit resources from the public sector
b_ Urban design is about conversation not regulation
- don't set regulations in stone
- allow artistic freedom
- take an example from Vancouver, Toronto, London UK, and New York, who cut urban design some slack
c_ Praise and blame
- be critical and award good design
- works towards improvement - most of us seek praise and avoid blame
d_ Take risks!
- City Hall, are you listening?
- Consider the Velo libre idea (see Quick Link), or at least try and be a little less conservative...
- Offer free parking? Run buses on bio-fuel? Start retrofitting government buildings?
Stay tuned for Joe Berridge's 7-Point Urban Design Program!